Brave Belt - Makani Nappa Leather Belt In Antelope Or Black
Makani is a classic BRAVE style. Wear over a dress or blazer for a fashion forward look.
- 52mm wide
- Fully lined with 100% vegetable tanned leather.
- 100% Italian Leather
- Ethically made in Toronto
WHY IS VEGETABLE TANNING SPECIAL?
To better the answer to this, it is important to understand how most of today’s leather is produced. Vegetable tanning is not chrome tanning, the method used in 90% of leather found in the fashion industry. Chrome tanning is fast, cheap and it produces a very uniform appearance. It also uses chromium salts, a chemical that is harmful to both the environment, and a known carcinogen. Despite these significant downsides, most leather goods are still made with chrome tanned skins.
WHAT IS VEGETABLE TANNING?
This tanning method uses natural tannins found in plants and trees and are just like the ones found in wine! The use of this natural compound not only produces a safe, bio-degradable, and environmentally friendly leather, the products made from vegetable tanning happen to be the very highest quality in the world.
WHY DON'T ALL COMPANIES USE VEGETABLE TANNED LEATHER?
Vegetable tanning is time consuming. Highly skilled craftsmen oversee the process which takes 60 to 90 days. This slower process allows the natural imperfections of the skin to become part of the finished product, making each hide unique. Chrome tanning takes 1 or 2 days and the leather tends to looks “perfect”. It’s cheap and easy to produce, but the result is a lower quality product with no character.
WHY DOES BRAVE CHOOSE VEGETABLE TANNED LEATHER?
It is the responsible choice for so many reasons.
- The environment is protected. Not only because of the natural tanning method, but also because when cared for properly, vegetable tanned products will last a lifetime.
- The characteristics of vegetable tanning are obvious. The leather has an earthy, natural smell and because it is all natural, it develops a rich, beautiful patina over time. It actually improves with age!
- Vegetable tanning is a technique dating back to 7000 BC. While refinements to the process have evolved, a better method to produce the world’s finest leather has never been developed. The history of the process, it’s association with craftsmanship, and its uniquely beautiful appearance, make vegetable tanned leather an obvious choice for BRAVE Leather.